Broken Harbor  - Tana French Frightening and wonderful. I am so lucky for randomly picking up Tana French's debut In the Woods five years ago returning from France. Once again, the mystery is top-notch but the true take-away in Broken Harbour is watching Kennedy's slow loss of control and descent into natural chaos. Watching Kennedy along with the victims Pat and Jenny Spain and his sister Dina try to maintain their grasp on reality is scarier than the actual murders, which involve a lot of blood and two dead kids.What French and Gillian Flynn, whom I consider to be her masterful American mystery writer counterpart, do so splendidly is construct fully realized characters (every character in Broken Harbour is developed--even minor ones like the snooping neighbors) and wonderfully layered plots in which a hodgepodge of themes come together to display some characteristic of human nature. The premise of every French novel is to expose the killer, but French secondarily exposes something dark and wicked and true about humanity. In Broken Harbour French demonstrates that there are no real divides between chaos and order even though our minds may build false divides in order to avoid that fact. There are always cracks behind ordered, perfect facades where the true nature of life--chaos--is fighting its way out.