Hallowed - Cynthia Hand After Unearthly, I was excited about the direction of the series. Hand had developed her angel mythology well and I expected book two to begin exploring the long term endgame. But throughout Hallowed, I felt directionless. The plot sputtered. Future plot points were planned, of course: 1. something dire is up with Clara’s mom 2. something is fishy with Clara’s brother 3. and there is something unexplainable to solve about Clara and Christian’s failed purposes. But instead of advancing these plots continuously throughout the book, Hand vaguely introduces them only to address them at the end.You know how artists are decried for stocking their albums with “filler” songs? Like they create an entire record for the sole purpose of releasing two dynamite singles and the rest is immaterial? That’s what Hallowed was for me: a filler novel. I call shenanigans on any series with only three books having a filler novel. Actually I call shenanigans on any series, no matter the length, having a filler novel. Having read the final book in the series, I wonder why it even had to be a filler novel since my complaint about the final book is that Hand crammed too much into it. Couldn’t some of that content be used in Hallowed?Another metaphor in an attempt to express my disappointment: you know how when you start dating someone you think that person is, like, the most awesome ever? But then, after a couple months, you become less charmed. The way he constantly tries to carry your heavy bag is chivalrous at the beginning. But you slowly begin to think, “Hey, sometimes I just want to carry my own bag!” So it was with Hallowed. In the first book, I found Hand’s unornamented prose authentic to teen speech, unchallenging, and soothing. Now in book two, I found the prose boring and uninspiring. In the first book, I was excited about the prospect of the angel mythology. What did the angels’ purposes mean? How is the angel hierarchy structured? After book two, I’m stuck in that vortex one is hap to fall into if she overanalyzes a piece of fiction focused on the supernatural. How do these purposes even work? Aren’t they simply self-fulfilling prophecies, not divine messages from God? Where’s the fun in a story that essentially tells you “This is going to happen because a character saw it in a vision and will consequently make it happen”?By the end of Hallowed, the only reasons I was compelled to read Boundless were 1. a desire to know the conclusion to the love triangle 2. I already had a copy after festering on the library’s holds list for months. Not very convincing reasons, unfortunately.