A Long, Long Sleep - Anna Sheehan So I only finished A Long Long Sleep less than a week ago, but now, looking over my Kindle annotations and coming back to write this review, I realize I’ve already forgotten the identities of some of the characters. And that fact essentially tells you all you need to know about this book; it is instantly forgettable. My favorite part of the book is its premise: the transfer of the Sleeping Beauty tale to the future. Sheehan does this by having Rose (I just had to look up the protagonist’s name—my post-reading amnesia is even worse than I thought) wake up from a technologically induced sleep after 62 years during which the world suffered plague and war and Rose’s own family died. I like this idea way more than the book itself. From this exciting starting point, we begin to follow Rose’s recovery and reawakening, but the problem is that Rose is horribly dull. The narration is first person, so the entire story is passive and dry like our lifeless heroine. Exacerbating this issue is the utter lack of plot. The entire “plot” concerns a robot chasing after Rose, which, of course, becomes repetitive VERY quickly. The formula for the book is 1. angst 2. robot attack 3. foiled robot attack. Return to coda. Clearly, something more is necessary to entrance a reader.The world-building was also subpar. More than six decades have passed since Rose fell asleep and many centuries have passed since our own era. Reasonably, the world should appear unrecognizable both to us and to Rose, but the world is nearly identical to our own and to hers. Sure, there are now unbreakable, flexible computers, cars that operate on magnetic technology, and interplanetary travels, yet this is insufficient to constitute an essentially “new” world. Another attempt at updating Earth is the addition of futuristic slang, however, only around five new words, maybe ten if I’m generous, exist. Including a few new high-tech items and a few new slang terms failed to convince me it was a futuristic society. It just seemed unimaginative. Simply put, A Long Long Sleep didn’t break any new ground. The writing is pedestrian, especially the dialogue, which does not read realistically at all. Instead of reading the genuine expressions of a 16-year old girl, we get forced monologues sounding like Henry V’s St. Crispin’s Day speech. The “world-building” and “plot” are laughable and deserve the scare quotes denoting their inadequacy. There is nothing glaringly objectionable about the novel, but there is nothing exceptional either. It’s forgettable, which, in my opinion, is one of the worst adjectives that can be attached to a book.