Looking for Alibrandi - Melina Marchetta I didn't find Looking for Alibrandi to be exceptional in any way, but that does not mean it is a bad book. Indeed, it is a good book, simply unremarkable. We follow Josephine Alibrandi, a senior in high school torn between two cultural heritages, two boys, and two ways of life. These are issues that any thinking teenager faces--how do I fit in yet maintain my sense of self? What do I want to be when I grow up? What if who I am is in opposition to who my boyfriend is? Marchetta explores these questions deftly, but for me, there wasn't anything extra, no oomph-factor to push this book above so many others that discuss the same things.Also, I've only just turned 21, but it amazes me how angsty YA heroines can be and how I was probably (and woefully) just like them a few years ago. And I think that ties into Looking for Alibrandi's main message--slowly and imperceptibly we grow up and understand . Understand our parents, our friends, our problems, our world. Interestingly, reading and laughing about Josephine's insanely melodramatic statements showed me that I have finally left that behind and achieved the same emancipation she does at the book's end.(Or at least for the most part. I think an angsty teen will always live on within me; I just notice it now.)